It’s tempting to take a tech break during the summer. But don’t put down your smartphone just yet. Here are ten apps that will help you have a better summer! (And of course, we’ve left Life360 off this time around, but it’s a great solution for road trips, vacations, and amusement parks!)
- Weber’s on the Grill: Go beyond the steaks and marinated chicken breasts with this app. It contains more than 300 class Weber recipes. save your favorites, create shopping lists, and email favorites. Includes recipes from celebrity chefs as well as how to videos. Android and IOS
- Project Noah: When it’s hot outside, it can be tough to get kids excited about hiking, camping, and even being outdoor. This app turns the user into a citizen scientist. Upload pictures of flora, fauna, and animals and then tag with details. Not sure what it is? The community will help you figure it out. Android and IOS
- EWG Skin Deep : The environmental working Group created this app to help guide your skincare choices. This app helps you pick a sunscreen that not only protects you from the sun but is also healthy for your skin. Android and IOS
- Next Issue: You will need your tablet for this one but it’s worth the extra space in your bag. This app gives you access to hundreds of magazines for one low price. Perfect for pool side reading. Try it for free with a thirty day trial. Android and IOS.
- Forecast.io: This web app (you can install it on your phone as well) goes beyond the temperature to show you humidity. PLus it shows you when it will be overcast and drizzly rather than outright storming. Perfect for when you want a shady and cooler day at the pool or beach.
- Groovebook: In an ideal world, you could share your summer with all of your family and friends. Groovebook gives them the next best thing. For $2.99 a month (including shipping and handling,)this app prints up to 100 of your phone photos in a 4.5×6.5 photobook. The photos are perforated for easy removal. Android and IOS.
- WaterIn: Keep hydrated in the summer heat with this app. You set the amount you are aiming to drink and then it reminds you when it’s time to take a sip. IOS only.
- Field Trip App: This cool location-based app will alert you when there are cool or interesting things nearby! It’s a great way to explore if you’re in your own town, or to find interesting things when you’re away from home. Android and iOS.
- Gasbuddy: The gold standard of gas apps. When the gas prices soar along with the heat, use this app to find the cheapest gas. To really be a gas saving ninja, use it in conjunction with Fuelcaster, which will tell you when the cheapest day and time to fill up is. Available on Android, IOS, Windows, and Blackberry.
- Back to School Countdown: Parents will appreciate this one. When you are at the end of the rope, install this customizable back to school countdown and know exactly how long you have until your darlings are entertained by someone besides you.
Got summer apps you love? Share them in the comments so we can all have a better summer.