Home should be the safest space in the world. Here’s a room-by-room checklist of common hazards to avoid and easily address.
- Make sure knives are sharpened and stored safely.
- Cap your hot water tank temp at 120 degrees F.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Area rugs can be a trip-hazard. Use double-sided tape to secure corners.
- Keep cords and cables tied up and off the floor.
- Make sure stairways are well lit.
- One handrail is good. Two handrails are better.
- Keep the floor free of clutter.
- Do not obstruct access to windows in case of fire.
- Use floor grips in the tub and shower.
- Use bathmats to minimize slip risk.
A little extra awareness goes a long way, especially with the rushed pace of modern family life. Make home safety a habit for all family members, and enjoy more happy, healthy years together.