School Bus Safety: Are Buses Safe for Kids?
As schools open nationwide, many parents wonder how to get their kids to and from school safely. For many parents who can’t drive their children to school, use a carpool, or have their kids walk, the school bus becomes a crucial part of daily life. But it’s only natural to ask: Are school buses safe for kids?
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the safety features of school buses, share valuable safety tips, and discuss how you can make the commute even safer with Life360’s safety features. Ready to give yourself peace of mind? Keep reading.
School Bus Safety Statistics
The good news is school buses are generally considered one of the safest modes of transportation for school-aged children. School buses are standard across the country, especially during the school year. Many parents and guardians trust them to ferry their children safely.
A Decade in Review: 2012-2022
Over the past decade, a closer examination of the fatalities reveals some patterns:
- A significant 70% of the fatalities were individuals in other vehicles, not the school bus.
- Pedestrians comprised 16% of the total deaths.
- School bus passengers and drivers each accounted for 5% of the deaths.
- Cyclists represented 3% of fatalities.
When it comes to injuries:
- 30% of those injured were school bus passengers.
- 9% were the drivers of the school buses.
- Over half, or 53%, were individuals in other vehicles.
- The rest of the injuries involved pedestrians, cyclists, and a few unknown cases.
While these statistics provide insight, the overall safety record of school buses is still commendable compared to other modes of transportation. However, as always, awareness and proactive safety measures can further reduce risks.
School Bus Safety Tips for Parents and Kids
To maximize safety, both parents and kids can follow some back-to-school tips tailored to school bus travel:
- Know the Route: Familiarize yourself with the school bus route and schedule. Be aware of any potential hazards along the way.
- Meet the Driver: If possible, meet the bus driver to gauge their professionalism and reliability.
- Wait for the Bus: Always accompany younger children to the bus stop and wait until the bus leaves.
- Discuss Bus Rules: Explain the importance of staying seated, not shouting, and listening to the bus driver.
- Be Early: Arrive at the bus stop at least 5 minutes early.
- Keep a Safe Distance: Stand at least six feet from the road while waiting for the bus.
- Enter and Exit Safely: Always use handrails on or off the bus.
- Stay Alert: Remember the driver’s instructions, and never walk behind the bus.
Make School Buses Safer with Life360
Enhance the safety of your child’s school bus commute with Life360. Our platform offers several features tailored for school bus safety:
- Location Sharing: Track your child’s journey in real-time to ensure they reach school and return home safely.
- SOS Alerts: In emergencies, your child can send an SOS alert to family members.
- Speeding Reports: Get alerted if the school bus exceeds the speed limit.
- Driver Reports: Receive information about driving habits, ensuring your child’s safety on the road.
- Place Alerts: Be notified when your child arrives at or leaves a specific place like school.
- Emergency Dispatch: Access to emergency services directly from the app.
- Messaging: Stay in touch with your child without needing a separate messaging app.
Don’t Just Hope for Safety, Ensure It with Life360
When it comes to your child’s safety, leaving things to chance is never an option. School buses are generally a safe mode of transport, but taking additional steps can make a significant difference. With features like location sharing, SOS alerts, and driver reports, Life360 transforms how you think about school bus safety.
Are you ready to step up and make your child’s school commute as safe as possible?